- Pain or discomfort in the throat, worsens with swallowing.
- Child under 2 years of age doesn’t know how to complain of a sore throat, but may refuse previously enjoyed foods or cry with feedings.
- Gargle with warm salt water (1 tsp. per 8 oz glass of water)
- Give acetaminophen or ibuprofen for comfort.
- Encourage cold fluids or foods.
- Soft bland diet – avoiding spicy, acidic or rough textured foods.
- Call during regular office hours if sore throat lasts longer than 24 hours, it is accompanied by fever, the child has recent contact or exposure to strep throat, it is accompanied by abdominal pain, vomiting or headache, if a rash develops.
- Call immediately if there is drooling, difficulty breathing, or swallowing.
← Sore Throat